This is School of Disc Golf Headmaster Jack Tupp here, with an important message for all disc golf enthusiasts.
I’ve written my 2nd disc golf book, titled “The Disc Golf Revolution,” and I wrote it for you. Not to read so much (although I hope you do read it and am certain you’ll enjoy it), but to give and recommend to everyone who you wish knew the full story of disc golf. In other words, everyone!
I’ve launched a Kickstarter campaign to promote the book, and I’d greatly appreciate your support by backing the project and sharing it everyone you know. You can do both by visiting playdiscgolf.org right now.
The book is 100 percent written and now in the final stages of copyediting. The book cover designed by Juan Luis Garcia of Overstable Studios (shown below) is also complete and ready for printing. I’ve listed the chapter titles and descriptions below, but here are the primary messages the book is intended to convey:
- Golf is a great game, and here is why-
- Golf is also largely inaccessible to most people, and here is why-
- Disc golf offers everything substantial this is great about golf, and here is why-
- Disc golf eliminates all the barriers inherent to traditional golf, and here is how-
- Disc golf has grown in an almost entires grassroots manner, like no sport before it
- Disc golf brings people from all walks of life together on a level playing field, like no sport before it
- Disc golf – and disc flight – is much more complex and engaging than you might think-
- Now that we’ve got your interest, here is how and where to play
(Chapter titles subject to change)
- Golf 2.0- Lists all that is great about the traditional game of golf along with the many obstacles that keep it out of reach for most of the world. Goes point-by-point to make the case that disc golf retains all the attractive elements of golf while obliterating all of the barriers
- The History of Disc Golf- A very different take on the history of disc golf, tracing both golf and the flying disc as far back into history as possible
- The Organic, Free-range Growth of Disc Golf- An important chapter explaining the unique growth path of a sport that seems tailor-made for the 21st century. It is broken down into the following sections: Player Growth; Course Growth: the pioneer spirit in action; Local Disc Golf Club Growth; Competition Growth; and Grassroots Growth in the News- a sampling of disc golf news stories from a random three-week period
- Disc golf today: Who plays, where they play, and how- An examination of who plays disc golf, where they play, and the popular formats
- Wellness Through Disc Golf- Explains why disc golf is a perfect activity for those who need exercise and/or stress release and usually find excuses (cost, time, schedule, judgment) for not getting it The
- The Egalitarian Sport- Another chapter that delves into disc golf’s significance extending beyond the realm of sports, it explains how disc golf has been equal opportunity since its inception and why it seems destined to remain so
- Start Playing Today!- Designed to enable readers who by this point in the book are excited to give it a try to hit the ground running, this chapter answers the following questions: How do I find the closest courses? What do I need to get? What are the rules? How do I learn to play?
- The finer points of the game- This chapter includes info typical to a how-to book, but with a twist consistent with the overall theme of the book. It will convince the reader how much more complex disc flight – and therefore the sport – is than they might have previously understood it to be. The idea is to fully dispel the belief that disc golf is just “tossing a Frisbee” again and again. Sections include: Tools of the Trade; Throwing techniques; The many ways to control the flight of a disc (I enlist the help of a physicist who is also a disc golfer for this section)
- Disc Golf Lingo- A fun chapter sharing some of the lingo and even local dialects unique to disc golf
- Disc Golf in the Context of Other Sports, Games & Hobbies- Another light chapter that shows how disc golf includes the best qualities of other more familiar and established sports & games
- Disc Golf on the Road- A reference chapter on how to play anywhere you go
- A Panacea for Modern Problems- A connect-the-dots chapter that matches the accessibility and broad appeal of disc golf with some of the 21st century’s most pressing social issues
- The Future of Disc Golf- The author’s take on the future of a sport that in some ways is rapidly evolving, but in others remains true to its wholly informal beginnings